The Institute for the Future has predicted that 85% of today’s students will work in jobs that don’t exist yet. Which hints at the importance of having a few high-income skills.
The above survey poses a unique challenge. How are you supposed to get trained to do a job if that job doesn’t even exist?
By acquiring the right skills or qualities you can accomplish whatever you dream of becoming.
Even if the industries are still a twinkle in someone’s eye, the skills necessary to achieve them will still remain the same.
Gone are those days where a college degree was one of the biggest assets to be recognized as successful. And the notion of graduating from topmost colleges is a must for being placed in top tech companies is contradicted now.
Companies like Google and Apple don’t recruit people based on a college degree but on the skills that you have. Having a good skill-set is more important than a college degree. you can easily earn money or make money as byproducts if you can solve some problems and add values.
In this article, we’ll be looking at the top 12 high-income skills to keep you making that money even in a changing job market.
1. SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Programming/ coding is one of the high in-demand skills which never gets old.
This has been prevalent since the late 20th century and is considered a high-figure income skill.
Let us look at some facts and statistics about the same.
- Most of the big companies are using Python for their websites, which include Instagram, YouTube, Reddit, and even NASA. So learning this language is definitely a big yes.
- Java is the most demanded computer language even today and developers love java for creating software, games, and even Android apps. many big names like LinkedIn,eBay and Amazon are using this language for their backend-development.
- C++ is the favorite code for creating Desktop games, android apps, and software or compiler. You can earn if you can create any digital problem-solving platforms.
- PHP, one of the demanding and frequently used languages in the industry of content management systems like WordPress. Even Facebook, Tumblr, Wikipedia uses PHP. This language will surely serve more in the future and not going to fade away soon.
- If you know many successful apps, particularly those in the Apple and Google stores, are created and marketed by individuals and small businesses. In 2016 independent app developers alone made $20 Billion in app stores.
- Copywriting is nothing but writing advertising promotional content. Copywriters mainly create text or their marketing-influenced words find a place on billboards, advertisements, brochures, websites, etc.
- There is not a single company that does not need marketing or advertisements.
- This is a skill that has to be acquired by reading books and by continuous practice of delivering it.
You can learn the best web copywriting tips for newsletters, social media, value propositions, speeches, landing pages, subject lines, and email copy through Dan Lok and his website.
It can seem like a lot but take it one step at a time and you’ll begin to see your copy improve. To briefly know about copywriting and to master and learn high-income skills you can read this article.
3. PUBLIC SPEAKING
let’s see some figures before talking. Some of the Top paid speakers in the world.
(All these data may change as per time and are not definite)
1. Tony Robbins
Charges –1 Million Dollars/day
2. Oprah Winfrey
3. Jim Collins
Charges- $1,00,000/ hour
In India, a Motivational speaker can earn from 100-10000 USD or even more for 1 hour/2 hour talk depending on the credibility you have earned.
So work on being a credible and knowledgeable person.
Tony Robbins is the highest-paid public speaker. According to sources, he gets paid about one million dollars every day.
- If you’re good at something, write a book or write an article about it and publish it. The more people read, the better it is to gain popularity.
- You can start a youtube channel or Instagram TV and try to increase as many followers as possible
- Make a website of your own and publish your videos and articles.
- Initially, you can start speaking for free at small events trying to gain some experience and confidence and widening your horizon of people.
- The world is in need of leaders like you. Learn leadership skills and inspire people.
This is one of the soft skills you should develop whether you like it or not.
PS: Try doing it with only your domain of interest or what you’re good at.
4. VIDEOS/CONTENT CREATION:
Today is the age of TV and the internet.
Every company is trying to put their advertisement in between the commercial shows, Netflix shows, and everywhere possible.
Ever looked at a video while watching youtube videos? You can definitely make similar to that and earn money.
All you need to do is to learn the software. It includes Adobe, Windows movie maker, Blender, and many more.
You can earn now thousands of dollars from creating your own YouTube channel and uploading your own videos in any niche.
Youtube is Google’s product and also provides several ways to make you a lot of online money.
The following is a report from the New York Times published on March 6, 2019, as per the new report, the number of podcast listeners has increased in recent times to a great extent.
The USA has more demand for podcasts and data says almost half of the USA population have listened to at least one podcast, nearly one out of three-person listens to a podcast every month.
We have also young podcasters in the industries on the rise. Forty percent of people between the ages of 12 and 24 listened to a podcast last month — a 10 percent jump from 2018”.
- Acquire the skill of what takes it to make a good podcast.
- Contact companies and put in their advertisements in between your podcasts and earn money.
6. ONLINE TUTORING
Tutoring is something that each and every individual does in their life whether it be for their siblings, friends, or their own children.
If you channelize this skill in the right direction, then you can be earning a lot of money through this online business.
So how do you do it?
- Develop a deep knowledge of your domain of interests.
- Make videos of you explaining the concepts
- Sell the videos to companies like Udemy and such other platforms.
- Write ebooks and sell them.
This sounds easy but you need to understand that teaching is not only about making money.
You need to be giving good values and make sure that your students are benefitting. Else you will be out easily.
7. GROWTH HACKING
Growth hacking is the strategy to acquire more customers with the least investments.
The idea here is to grow your business in a shorter duration with proven marketing techniques.
Growth hacking can be anything lucrative for customers in return for their buying back of the products.
It mainly includes marketing strategies implemented on
- Content marketing
- Product marketing
Blog creation, podcasting, webinars, social media marketing, influencer marketing, giveaways, and many such techniques which results in attracting the attention of new customers.
8. DIGITAL MARKETING CONSULTANCY
Most of the big brands and companies are showing their presence on online platforms or trying to get connected with their customers through social media for better relationships.
So this is inevitably one of the most demanding high-income skills in the coming years.
- Digital Marketing Efforts Provide Useful Analytics & Data.
Digital Marketing provides measurable results.
Each platform provides analytics that can be used to see the demographics of the audience most interested in your efforts.
This allows you to see what works best and where your potential customers are to leverage the right platforms.
- Digital Marketing Results in Traffic
Online or offline digital marketing will help your business get people to click through to your website.
In addition to the improved search rank, your online visibility and branding will also improve. It will provide recognition and help to increase conversions and referrals.
There are many Digital Marketing Project Managers who are earning millions.
So what are the skills required?
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Campaign marketing
- Data-driven marketing,
- e-commerce marketing,
- Social media marketing
- Social media optimization
- Display advertising
It is the most untouched topic or skill which most of the youth ignore in the early years and think it’s a matter of above 40 years of age.
But the earlier you start to invest the probability of becoming a millionaire at a young age is achievable.
- Time is greater than money. Now the reason for being said is time once gone can not be brought back unlike time. Once it’s spent, it’s gone. Always try to generate income from multiple sources.
- You don’t need to be a financial expert to invest, but you do need to learn some basic terminology so that you can make good decisions.
- Investing can be harmful and cause the loss of money if done unwisely.
- Learn the differences between stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, and Certificate of Deposits (CDs).
- You need to learn about portfolio optimization, diversification, market efficiency in order to map the market easily.
- Read Finance books written by successful investors such as Warren Buffet.
- Above all, remember that the greatest investment that you can do is in yourself
Do your maths properly and invest your time accordingly.
10. E-MAIL MARKETING
Email marketing is sending commercial intent messages to a group of interested people using emails.
It usually involves using email to send advertisements, request business, or solicit sales or donations, and is meant to build loyalty, trust, and brand awareness.
Now how it will help you is suppose you run a successful blog and you have a list of readers’ emails.
So next time if you have to sponsor a product or want to sell your own product there is a high chance of selling your product to a large number of your audience.
Email marketing has the best conversion rate and you get loyal and paying customers through this.
Learn how to write emails. These include
- The clear, direct subject line
- Including a Signature block
- Using exclamation points sparingly
- Using Classic fonts
- Avoiding shortcuts
Your email is a reflection of you. The better the emails you write, the better the chances of attracting customers, the better the chances of earning.
According to reports, US employees receive an average of 126 emails every day. Your email would be just one amongst them.
You have to create your unique ideas and creativity and implement your skills to attract readers. That’s why it’s regarded as a high income skill.
Blogging is a method of publishing your views or stories or information about a particular topic or subject on a website.
It could be your own website or you could contribute to somebody else’s.
Blogging is one of the quickest, shortest, and smartest ways to become a brand, to acquire authority, to build a business, or to make money with little or no investment.
Blogging is one of the easiest skills to learn. Hence it is a good recommendation to housewives, students, or anyone who wants to work online from home and earn money.
At last, you can monetize your blog through advertisement or affiliate marketing. The more popular your blog is the more ways you have to earn money online.
Here are 5 simple steps you can follow to create your own blog.
- Find a niche in which you want to start blogging, buy domain-hosting, and create your website with word-press.
- Start writing regular quality-contents on your websites. Learn and apply SEO while writing content.
- Within a few months, you start seeing some traffic on your websites. You can start monetizing those traffic through Google AdSense and affiliate marketing.
- With consistency and proper learning, you can easily start making $500 – $1000 within 6-9 months.
You can learn about blogging in-depth through these articles.
12. AFFILIATE MARKETING
Affiliate Marketing is the process where an affiliate (people like you) earns a fixed percentage of commission by promoting and bringing sales to the company. It could either be a product or service.
This is one of the best skills to learn to earn passive income.
This works best even if you don’t have a large number of traffic on your blog. If your website is under a specific niche, you will always find affiliate products in that niche.
Don’t be too greedy with the commission rate you see out there. Just be loyal to your audience and recommend only those products which you think might be helpful to your audience.
It will be a win-win for both of you. All you need to do is to attach an affiliate link.
Pat Flynn, Neil Patel, Darren Rowse are some of the big names in the affiliate marketing industry.
You can read about the 15 best affiliate programs that you can use to monetize your blogs.
We should not forget that Rome was not built in a day and expect the results overnight.
It requires perseverance, determination, and patience in developing these high income skills.
To channelize your time wisely, be persistent, and achieve the right kind of skills you want to.
Let us know in the comments below which of these 12 high income skills in 2020 have you mastered.